Wednesday 10 June 2009

Damn you, Tom Hanks!

Well, I have been busy lately, and my laptop has persisted in it's one-machine crusade against my existence. Well, not against my existence. It still hates me, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Anyway, yesterday I finished reading "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher". It was good, and I won't spoil it and say "whodunnit", but I will say that the eponymous Mr Whicher was right. I have now moved on to reading "Angels and Demons". I have spent the entire book, well the 37 chapters I've read this morning, picking fault at what the movie left out. I also cannot help but read the entire thing in the voice of Tom Hanks. It is most annoying! Damn Hollywood!

This week has been "Year Abroad Week". So far, I have learnt to avoid saunas in Germany, and to be analytical with my journal. I spent most of Monday bored shitless in seminars about dissertations and YA Projects. As I'm doing neither, I thought it all pretty pointless, but obligatory. 2h45 later, after an hour and a bit on footnoting, half an hour on something that I forget but whose general message was "The Internet is EVIL!", I was informed that it was all "optional". OPTIONAL! Not amused in the slightest. Yesterday was marginally better. Not. I spent most of the morning weeping "I just want my free monies". Today is all about French and Spanish bureaucracy. Bureaucracy is one of my most hated words as a language student. The 'eau' sound that is so prevalent in Bureau is lost in bureaucracy. This, I see no point in it. I do wish English would stop stealing French words and beating them beyond recognition. Beaulieu is another example. It is a place in the South. Pronounced "Bewley".

1 comment: