Tuesday 19 May 2009

A tale of lost lottery tickets, "Spanalan" and Tom Hanks

Today has been a mixed one. I started the day waking up to my alarm clock, which was put on snooze several times, until I decided that I should really get up and practise my Catalan presentation. I say practise, I mean just saying it over and over again hoping it sinks in. I then proceeded to campus, picked up my Euro200 texts (I will comment on these when I start to work on them on Thursday no doubt), and went to sit in one of the DELC kitchens amb la Katie. Cristina passed us and wished us "Que vagi bé", meaning "all the best" (or to grammar nazis like myself, 'That it goes well'). This was confusing, as Cristina taught us Spanish last year, and hearing her speak in Catalan was just odd. I had been pre-warned to not look at Fred when I went in, so this I did. First, I had to read out my library card, which they had on a piece of paper, for 'anonymity', even though they could tell it was me by my voice. Then proceeded, seeing Fred out of the corner of my eye, looking grumpy and writing things down. I assumed he did this for everyone else. Well, I hope he did. Everything went well, until I left and said 'Adios' instead of 'Adéu'. So close.

I have been Eurovisioning alot today. I have realised the meaning behind the lyrics of Iceland's entry. She lost her lottery ticket. "Is it true? Is it over? Did I throw it awaaaaay? Was it you? Did you tell me, you would never leave me this way?" Clearly refering to her losing her ticket, struggling to cope with it, and blaming whoever 'you' is, who then proceeds to leave her.

I also went to watch Angels and Demons today. Apart from Tom Hanks not being right for Robert Langdon, the film was quite flawed. Victor Victoria, or whatever her name was, was a poor actress, and it changed a key element in the plot, in that the 4th cardinal survived and became el Papa. Stupid Ron Howard.

No comments:

Post a Comment